Our client has Retained The Carlisle Group to conduct a search for a Controller in Wilmington Delaware. This can be a hybrid position with 2 days in the office. Our client is an A Rated P&C Insurance company. We are looking for someone that has Insurance Accounting experience and an MBA and/or CPA.
Overall Job Description:
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will coordinate the overall workflow of the Accounting and Direct Bill departments for this mid-size regional Property and Casualty insurance carrier. The Controller will be responsible for supervising, training, and assisting the staff of these departments.
- Completion of monthly and year-end closing entries and final Trial Balance, reviewing to ensure accuracy.
- Conduct account analysis and provide supporting documents for all accounts on the Trial Balance of all companies; assist in solving reconciliation issues.
- Manage the timely and accurate completion and filing of all statutory accounting and insurance regulatory functions for the Company.
- Manage and review the completion of audited financial statements for approval by external auditing firms.
- Coordinate insurance audits with outside auditors and state financial examiners and review of other regulatory compliance requirements.
- Oversee accounting functions for investment activities and reinsurance transactions.
- Provide financial analysis of statutory financial statements and management commentary.
- Make records available and work with the outside actuary and tax accountant.
- Review and coordination of reinsurance recoveries near or over the 90-day limit.
- Keep appropriate senior management advised of cash flows.
- Maintain computer software and hardware required to operate the Accounting Department.
- Recommend required changes to current data processing systems and manual procedures or policies.
- Responsible for timely completion and review of the monthly financial close process including expense accruals and IBNR reserves.
- Preparation of "month only" analysis and prepare explanations of unusual items or variances. Conduct review of Directors monthly cash position.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual statement blanks and scheduling and coordination of any activities required for their completion.
- Responsible for various year end filings to Dept. of Banking and Insurance, AM Best, and NAIC. For example: Management Discussion and Analysis, Risk Based Capital, and Market Conduct
- Supervision of Accounting and Billing staff including annual performance evaluation.
- Participation in Company strategic planning including planning and coordination of financial impact proformas for new projects.
- Ability to accommodate an irregular work schedule and establish the personal mobility to attend financial training workshops and seminars.
- Ability to facilitate a strong and effective internal control environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Team oriented
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting
- CPA required
- 8 -10 years Accounting experience, including Property & Casualty Insurance Accounting experience
- Five years supervisory experience